Here you will find the best advice on how to design a walk-in storage closet according to the shape and size of the room and your personal needs. If you are lucky enough to have a walk-in closet in your home, congratulations!
If you wonder how to design a walk-in closet, the first thing you need to do is to choose where to put your walk-in closet. If you have three square meters of free space, then you potentially have enough space. If you have less space than that, consider opting for a walk-in closet, as it will be small and cramped.
You probably will not have room for most decorations, but wallpapers or posters can help you customize the look of your walk-in closet. Furniture selection (shelves, boxes, etc.) can also help define your preferred style. Anything is possible, whether you are a fan of traditional designs or modern minimalism.
How to Design a Walk-In Closet? (Important Tips)
One of the most important elements in the creation of a suitable walk-in closet is its organization. When planning the ideal closet organization, it is essential to consider the available space you have. How big is the room? Can you save space for floor storage (like boxes)? Will shelves be useful? Will your favorite drawers fit? It would be best if you answered these questions properly because designing a small walk-in closet may require different needs than the bigger one. Then, you need to search for small walk-in closet ideas.
Remember, the proper design optimizes your closet’s design and makes it easier to access and enjoy your clothes and accessories. The order of your listing should ultimately be very user-friendly. The last thing you want is to waste time mindlessly digging into things!
Let’s begin with understanding what is classified as a walk-in closet.
What is Classified as a Walk-in Closet?
The question people often ask is which is better: a regular closet or a walk-in closet? If you have to choose one of them, you can be sure that having a walk-in closet provides more comfort and organization in any room of the house.
A walk-in closet is a wardrobe that you can find in a room used for storage in your home. For example, a walk-in closet is placed in an opening or a recess in the wall of the room. This small space is often created specifically for a closet or some other type of storage space. Therefore, since it is already included in the recess of the wall, it offers an excellent opportunity without taking up too much space. It is not underfoot in the house and is usually out of sight.
A walk-in closet is a practical and very useful item; it solidifies the space and can have interesting properties. It does not block the visual area of the room and has a hidden structure. In addition to all these, it is suitable for meeting your daily needs.
Walk-in Closet Ideas
Below you can find different shapes if you want to know more walk-in closet ideas:
- Linear: This is the most common shape and the easiest to design. It covers only one wall of the room and can be as long as the room allows. It is the best option for small rooms or if other items take up part of the space.
- L-shaped: This walk-in closet is perfect if you have two empty walls. Unlike the linear walk-in closet, this closet is divided into two zones. This makes it very easy to organize. You can hold summer clothes on one side and winter clothes on the other or use one side for clothes and the other for shoes and accessories.
- U-shaped: This shape offers the most benefits, but only those who can use an entire room as a closet can use this option. It is divided into three different zones with an open space in the middle, making it easy to move around.
- Parallel: This type of walk-in closet is best for tight spaces. One part of the closet is parallel to the other, and there is a passage between them. This passage should be wide enough to reach your clothes in and out comfortably. We also recommend adding plenty of lighting; otherwise, such cabinets may turn out to be too dark.
Finally, as a rule, most walk-in closets are made of wood. Of course, there are other options you can choose from. However, our recommendation is to select the best material possible. In this case, without a doubt, wood comes first.
How to Design a Walk-in U-Shape Storage Closet
This shape offers the most benefits, but only those who can use an entire room as a closet can use this option. It is divided into three different zones with an open space in the middle, making it easy to move around.
Your focus should be the bottom portion of the U-shape of your walk-in closet. In that area, you can showcase your clothes and accessories. You can create a combination of drawer units and upper shelving at the base of the U-shape. You can illuminate this wall with led lights to create a spotlight to attract your gaze.
To maximize your space, you can use double rails along each of the side walls. This will extend the full length of your walk-in closet. The bottom of the U against the smallest closet wall is the best area for drawers. Last, you can arrange sets of built-in drawers side by side without the handles bumping into each other in the middle of the dressing room. You may use soft-close drawers to cushion them from slamming shut.
Accessories to Use in a Walk-in Closet
If you have a bedroom with a walk-in closet, you are lucky! Now, you will need a few accessories to keep your walk-in closet organized and have a comfortable place to store your clothes. These will help you find what you are looking for and ensure everything is in its place. There is a wide variety of accessories on the market. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Clothes hangers: These are the essential accessory of any closet. Depending on your taste and how you like to organize your closet, you can use them less or more often. Some people like to fold their clothes, while others prefer hanging them on hangers. One thing is for sure, even if you have few clothes or too many clothes, you must have hangers because it is significant for closet layout.
- Boxes: These are great for holding clothes or seasonal items that you do not use very often. An airtight box ensures that the clothes are not dusty, and you can store them on the shelf.
- Shoe hanger: The perfect place to keep all your shoes. We recommend them especially for smaller walk-in closets because they are a great way to optimize space.
- Mirror: If you have the space for that, you might consider adding a mirror inside. This is a great way to get ready quickly and have a better perspective on the look you want for the day! A mirror can be very practical in the room. This means you do not have to run back and forth whenever you want to try different things or change them!
Here are some other accessories you can use: Garment bags for delicate laundry, baskets, or drawer organizers. With these accessories, you can personalize your walk-in closet and adapt it to your needs.
Some Other Useful Tips
Up until now, we have offered many ideas on how to design a walk-in closet according to the shape and size of the room and your personal needs. It not only provides extra storage but a tidy appearance in your home. We hope that you find the information we provide useful and practical.
We want to add some other suggestions before finishing this article:
- Closet doors: If you have doubts about what type of door for your walk-in closet you should use, a sliding door is much more practical, original, and comfortable. Remember that practicality and convenience should be the main principles you should consider when decorating your home.
- Proper lighting: Don’t forget to set the appropriate lighting for your entrance! In many cases, people underestimate the importance of great lighting. As a result, you can end up with a walk-in closet that feels very dark and cavernous, making it difficult to access and find anything. In contrast, a well-lit entrance will look more inviting and much easier to navigate through time. There are many ways you can use to sort lighting. Eco bulbs are great, but directional LEDs can do wonders in a smaller space. It depends on your preferences!
In conclusion, these are just a few of the simple things you can do to turn your walk into something to be proud of. When you open your walk-in closet, you should not feel like dealing with a mess: you should feel like a true star looking for the perfect outfit to wear any day, any season out!